In 2015, eight multi-family developments with 50 or more rental units were completed, adding a total of 1,475 new apartments. Half of them contained affordable housing. The eight biggest rental developments are as follows:
1) Mosso – 463 rental units
• Completed: 2/02/2015
• Address: 900 Folsom Street, San Francisco, CA 9410
• Rental types: 14 studios, 252 one-bedroom apartments, 210 two-bedroom apartments
• Property size: 375,971 sq.ft., includes 8,000 square feet of retail
Mosso is located in the heart of SoMa (South of Market St.). It has a rooftop terrace with a great view of the San Francisco Bay. The building is LEED certified, smoke free, and pet friendly. It features its own lobby lounge, storage units, an outdoor workspace/meeting area, a dog/bike wash, and electronic charging stations for automobiles.
2) 100 Van Ness – 421 rental units
• Completed: 11/11/2015
• Address: 100 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94102
• Rental types: 49 studios, 209 one-bedroom apartments, 163 two-bedroom apartments
• Property size: 346,518 sq.ft., 28-Story – First Floor includes retail
From 1974 to 2010, this fixture of the San Francisco skyline served as an office building and the longtime home to the California State Automobile Association. Over the course of 12 months, the buildings concrete panels were removed and replaced with floor-to-ceiling glass. The building has a fitness center, a business center, and high-speed internet access.
3) Avalon Hayes Valley – 182 rental units
• Completed: 10/01/2015
• Address: 325 Octavia Street, San Francisco, CA 94102
• Rental types: 45 studios, 106 one-bedroom apartments, 35 two-bedroom apartments
• Property size: 135,149 sq.ft., Five-story building – first floor includes retail
This LEED Platinum certified building is located in the Lower Haight neighborhood in the heart of San Francisco. It offers city views through large bay windows, a fitness center, a clubhouse, high speed internet, and landscaped, rooftop terraces with outdoor seating and barbecues.
4) The Civic – 162 rental units
• Completed: 12/23/2015
• Address: 101 Polk Street, San Francisco, CA 94102
• Rental types: 25 studios, 99 one-bedroom apartments, 38 two-bedroom apartments
• Property size: 13-story building
The Civic is located in at the intersection of Hayes Valley, SoMa, the Mission District, and Mid-Market, and is close to many transit lines, including BART and the MUNI Subway. All apartments have in-unit washer/dryers, gas stoves, and stainless steel appliances. Many have walk-in showers, walk-in closets, and private balconies.
5) 2175 Market Street – 88 rental units
• Completed: 4/21/2015
• Address: 2175 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94114
• Rental types: 54 one-bedroom apartments, 34 two-bedroom apartments
• Property size: 55,111 sq.ft., six-story building. First floor includes retail
2175 Market offers a collection of well-appointed one- and two-bedroom layouts with open floor plans, generous windows, and the latest appliances and fixtures. It is designed to meet LEED Platinum Certification while featuring natural materials and high-quality finishes. In addition, the work of local artists and craftsmen are featured throughout the building. Its electric grid is partially powered by a solar system, and a rooftop terrace provides great views of the San Francisco Bay. The surrounding neighborhood has an emerging food scene with renowned restaurants and lounges.
6) Franciscan Towers – 105 rental units
• Completed: 11/20/2015
• Address: 217 Eddy Street, San Francisco, CA 94102
• Rental types: 94 studios, 11 one-bedroom apartments
• Property size: 69,096 sq.ft., 6 story building
Originally acquired by the Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation (TNDC) in 1987 as housing for individuals and families, Franciscan Towers was under redevelopment for 4 years following a fire in 2011. TNDC rebuilt the fire damaged portions of the building, including the elevator, lobby, and approximately 45% of the residential units. TNDC also was able to upgrade the seismic and life safety systems and complete additional upgrades to existing building systems and non-fire damaged residential units. 35 units are reserved for Shelter Plus Care residents and 13 returning individuals and families. The building has a new mix of units, with more one-bedrooms in place of studios, to accommodate more families. Some of the studios are intended to house the formerly homeless, and some are outfitted for the disabled. The building also houses TNDC administrative offices and the TNDC Tenderloin After-School Program (TASP).
7) Broadway-Sansome – 75 rental units
• Completed: 4/21/2015
• Address: 255 Broadway Street, San Francisco, CA 94111
• Rental types: 10 studios, 36 one-bedroom apartments, 24 two-bedroom apartments, 5 three-bedroom
• Property size: 56,940 sq.ft., 6 story building with 5,000 sq.ft retail space on ground floor
After the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989, the Embarcadero Freeway was deemed seismically unsafe. A long and contentious decision-making process ended with CalTrans’ decision to demolish the freeway and transfer sites that formerly housed the freeway to the City of San Francisco. The Broadway-Sansome site was the Broadway on-ramp for the Embarcadero Freeway. The City decided to dedicate the site to affordable housing and the Broadway Sansome will be home to families whose income is so low it makes them homeless or at risk of homelessness, and to families with more stable but still low incomes. The building has a community room, space for service provision to residences, an interior courtyard, and roof decks with views of the San Francisco Bay.
8) 1100 Ocean Avenue – 71 rental units
• Completed: 3/11/2015
• Address: 1100 Ocean Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94112
• Rental types: 18 studios, 18 one-bedroom apartments, 21 two-bedroom apartments, 14 three-bedroom apartments
• Property size: 47,867 sq.ft., 5-story building with retail on ground floor
Located in the southwestern, Westwood Park area of San Francisco, known for its safety, this area has become a haven for families, retirees and professionals. The building is adjacent to the City College of San Francisco. It has 45 affordable 1, 2 and 3 bedroom apartment homes, a common room for activities, a community kitchen, a multi-purpose room for youth residents, on-site laundry facilities, an outdoor play area, and bicycle storage.